Merhaba! Yep, that’s how you say Hello in Turkish.
Turkey is the most beautiful country in the world. There, I have finally said it!
We all know that Turkey is beautiful but I wasn’t prepared for the magnitude of it all. It has everything and even more than what you can imagine.
Of course, there are mountains, beaches, old towns, culture, and all the stuff that makes any country gorgeous – but Turkey is MORE than that. Turkey’s beauty is otherworldly and will make you fall hopelessly in love.
I’m sure you must have heard the phrase “East meets West” because it has been used for MANY places. But hey, Turkey fits this description more than every other place because it is geographically part Asia and part Europe.
Is it Safe to Travel to Turkey as a Solo Woman Traveler?
I traveled to Turkey as a solo female traveler in July 2016. Many people warned me about my safety before I arrived in Turkey. People also said I might get unwanted attention from Turkish men. They were so wrong.
Honestly, I didn’t face any issues and didn’t receive uncomfortable vibes or unwanted attention from any men. On the other hand, I met many helpful men and women in Turkey almost every day.
I can’t forget the 20-something man who was concerned about my safety in Denzili airport because the flight was late. He made sure I sat in the right coach for Pamukkale and spoke to the driver.
I will never forget a sweet-natured shopkeeper in his mid-40s whom I met in Istanbul who asked me to relax and take a break and gave me two bottles of chilled water from his shop when I was searching for my hostel in the peak of a mid-day hotel. This same man helped me the next day when I was stranded in Istanbul during the military coup in 2016.
Yes, I was stuck in Turkey during that horrible time in July 2016 but it was just for 1-2 days. I will never forget the amount of help that I received from the locals – my hostel guy, the locals around us, my ex-colleagues who lived in Istanbul, the overworked staff of Turkish Airlines, and more.
Even after all this, I’d still say Turkey isn’t unsafe even for solo women travelers. But hey, you should check the situation before visiting and read the travel advisory posted by your embassy.
Visa for Turkey
I applied for an eVisa for Turkey, which is available for citizens of many countries. You can check the below link for more details about the visa process for your nationality.
What’s the Capital City of Turkey?
Istanbul the capital city of Turkey, is an insanely beautiful multicultural city which is partially in Europe and partially in Asia. Yes, it is the only city in the world that’s a part of two continents and because of this is one of a kind.
When I make country-specific itineraries, I skip big cities but in this case, I’d say Istanbul deserves at least 3 days.
Turkey Travel Blog Posts
Here are all my travel blog posts about Turkey.
- Unveiling the Ultimate Guide: 21 Must-Visit Instagram Spots in Istanbul for Stunning Photos Heading to Istanbul anytime soon? You will be delighted to know that this historical city is breathtakingly… Read more: Istanbul Instagram Spots: 21 Photo Spots in Istanbul + MAP
- What’s the best way to enjoy a new destination’s culture for you? For me, it is by walking, visiting street markets, and tasting different foods. Food is how you can… Read more: I did a Food Tour in Istanbul (Here’s What I ate)
- There are many historical cities all over the world but not many are as special as Istanbul in Turkey. If you are living in Europe or Asia, and are planning… Read more: Is Istanbul Worth Visiting? The Biggest City in Turkey
- Epic sunsets, distant sounds of Namaaz, spectacular minarets, and adorable cats – this is Istanbul, one of the most exotic cities in Europe or Asia. East meets West is such… Read more: How to Spend 3 Days in Istanbul (Itinerary), Turkey + MAP
- Turkey travel tips post has been written by our Europe content specialist – Alara Benlier, who is originally from Turkey. This post has been further expanded by the editor. Turkey is… Read more: Turkey Travel Tips (from a local): 15 Things to Know About Turkey
- The ultimate 10-day Turkey itinerary for first timers including the best of Istanbul, Cappadocia, Ephesus, and Pamukkale Is it Asia or Europe? Turkey is both – the best of two… Read more: The Ultimate Turkey Itinerary 10 Days: Best Places to Visit
- The first time I came across a picture of Pamukkale was when I was in college. I remember staring at this picture for a long time because I had never… Read more: Pamukkale in Turkey – Spectacular Travertine Thermal Pools [+ Hierapolis]
- “Can you tell me the EXACT location of this photo?” Yup, that’s the most frequently asked question when people see my Cappadocia pictures. In fact, this question comes to me… Read more: 10 Instagram Spots in Cappadocia that are Beautiful (Turkey)
- Once upon a time (in a galaxy far, far away), I visited a place called Cappadocia in Turkey. This place is so mystical and full of magic, that words are… Read more: Why Cappadocia in Turkey is the Most Magical Place on Earth
- There is something magical about floating in a hot air balloon and looking at the world through the eyes of a bird. Everything looks tiny, calm and attainable. The world… Read more: Hot Air Balloon Ride in Cappadocia, Turkey – Magical Flight of Dreams
- Fancy a trip to Mars but can’t afford it? Cappadocia is your answer. Cappadocia in Turkey is the land of unusual rock formations that have further been carved into underground… Read more: Sleeping in a Cave Hotel in Cappadocia – Ottoman Cave Suites, Göreme, Turkey
- They said it is unsafe and they said I should not visit it. “It” in this case is Istanbul and there was no way I was going to cancel my… Read more: Being Stranded in Istanbul During the Military Coup, Turkey