This page has a collection of all my travel blog posts about Germany and a lot of random travel tips. But first, here’s a bit of a background.
Living in Germany
Guess what, Germany was the first European country that I ever visited back in 2014. Since 2017, I’ve been living in Germany, and I have had a love-and-hate relationship with this amazing country.
At first, I was excited about everything German – learning the language, the brötchen (breakfast buns), wurst (the sausages), spargel fever(asparagus), extremely fast-moving supermarket payment counters, super silent Sundays, and many other German things.
Then came a time when I started missing my home (India) too much and I hated everything that I loved before turned annoying. Yes, that’s what happens when you live in another country.
A few years later, I started missing Germany after spending 2 months in India and was shockingly happy to be back. Fast forward 6 years, I have learned to love Germany and its little quirks.
Over the last few years, I have traveled a lot within Germany. Honestly, it isn’t my favorite place to travel to because it is expensive but I have been pleasantly surprised at stunning natural landscapes and white sand islands.
Perhaps I should also mention Germany’s insanely intense party scene (Hello Berlin!) but I guess that’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
I can go on for hours talking about Germany, so this page is always going through an update or another at different times.
What’s the Capital City of Germany?
The capital city of Germany is Frankfurt. I have visited it pretty often and I must admit that it isn’t my favorite. That’s perhaps a reason why I never ended up writing about it.
Honestly, no one comes to Frankfurt to explore the city, people normally come here for a business meeting or to travel to just arrive in Germany internationally and travel further.
Yes, you can walk along the river in Germany, see some old buildings, also many skyscrapers and enjoy the “big city” feel but for me, 1-2 days are usually enough here.
Main Airports in Germany
As with most of my country-specific destination guides, I will mention the top international airports. Of course, there are many other smaller airports where one can fly from other Schengen countries and other nearby destinations.
|Airport Name and Code||Nearby Destinations|
|Frankfurt International Airport (FRA)||Black Forest, Saarbrücken|
|Munich Airport (MUC)||Bavaria and around|
|Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER)||East Germany, Poland|
|Düsseldorf Airport (DUS)||West Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands|
|Hamburg Airport (HAM)||North Germany, Islands, the Netherlands|
|Cologne Bonn Airport (CGN)||West Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands|
|Stuttgart Airport (STR)||South Germany|
|Hannover Airport (HAJ)||North and Central Germany|
|Nuremberg Airport (NUE)||Bavaria and South Germany|
|Leipzig/Halle Airport (LEJ)||Central and West Germany|
There are actually 36 airports in Germany but I’m mentioning just the biggest and the busiest top 10. If you are flying from another continent, then most likely you will land in just one of the top 4 airports – Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, or Dusseldorf.
Meanwhile, the airport that’s close to my town from where I usually fly for my travels within Europe isn’t even in the top 10 list.
Top Destinations in Germany
Munich, Nuremberg, Neuschwanstein Castle & Bavaria
Cologne & Burg Eltz
The North Sea
The East Sea (Jasmund National Park, and around).
This page has a collection of all our travel blog posts about Germany.
- Do you know that I’ve been living in Germany since 2017? I grew up in India but moved to Germany at the start of my 30s. I got to experience… Read more: Differences Between Living in Germany and India
- Hamburg is my favorite city in Germany and is unlike any other. It has canals, bridges, and historical buildings. It even has the world’s biggest warehouse district that’s a UNESCO… Read more: Hamburg with Kids: What to do with Children in Hamburg
- Here’s my tried and tested Hamburg itinerary for spending the best 3 days in Hamburg. You can also modify it to fit 2 days since the last day is super… Read more: 3 days in Hamburg: the Ultimate Hamburg Itinerary for a Long Weekend
- Nuremberg – the city of gingerbread houses, cute Christmas markets, and a lot of history. It is Bavaria’s second-large city, but is Nuremberg worth visiting? Let’s find out. Nuremberg boasts… Read more: Is Nuremberg Worth Visiting? A Historic City in Bavaria (Germany)
- If you open any guidebook about visiting Germany, then usually the most recommended destinations are Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, or Cologne. In my opinion, these definitely aren’t the best travel… Read more: Is Heidelberg Worth Visiting? Here’s Why I Loved this River Side Town in Germany
- Here are the exact locations of some of my Instagram reels and posts from Hamburg. It took me multiple visits to find some of the most amazing photo spots and… Read more: Hamburg Instagram Spots: 13 Photo Spots in Hamburg + MAP
- This post has information about the Externsteine Rocks in Teutoburger Wald (Teutoburg Forest), which is Germany’s North Rhine-Westphalia State. Would you believe me if I told you that Germany has… Read more: The Externsteine: Stunning Rock Formation in Germany’s Teutoburg Forest
- Magical season is here, and the best way to make the most of it is by heading to a Christmas Market. Around this time every year, I thank the universe… Read more: Why I love Bielefeld Christmas Market, (NRW) Germany
- Here’s everything you need to know about visiting Burg Eltz – a Castle that’s so stunning that it will make your eyes pop. Brace yourself, I’m about to tell you… Read more: Burg Eltz Castle: Germany’s Iconic Medieval Castle that was Disney’s Inspiration
- Here’s everything you need to know before visiting the stunning Heidelberg, things to do, how to reach, where to stay, what do eat and more. Heidelberg is a student town… Read more: Things to do in Heidelberg, Germany’s Riverside Castle Town
- I love German people, they are really the best. BUT it took me a while to understand them because they are culturally very different from the country where I… Read more: 15 Things I learned about German People after Moving to Germany
- Ever seen a list of the most visited destinations in the world? Most of them in the top 10 are in Europe. Yep, Europe is one of the most touristy… Read more: 9 Most Beautiful Lakes in Europe (that aren’t Grada or Bled or Camo)
- It has now been close to five years that I have been living in Germany. The last five years have been extremely eventful. I have learned a new language, lived… Read more: What’s it Like to Live in Germany – the Good, Bad and the FUN
- Hamburg Nightlife Guide has been written our Germany and Netherlands content specialist – Alara Benlier. This post has been further expanded by the editor. Young, hip, and fun – those… Read more: The Ultimate Hamburg Nightlife Guide: Top Clubs + Survival tips
- Jasmund National Park is on Reugen Island, which is the biggest island in Germany. It is on Germany’s Baltic Coast in Mecklenburg-Vorpommerns state. In Germany, the Baltic Sea is called… Read more: Visiting Jasmund National Park on Rugen Island: Germany’s Baltic Coast
- Berlin – where the streets have a story to tell in the form of art. It is the city where the roadside paintings speak louder than the road signs. There… Read more: Exploring the East Side Gallery, Berlin – Tips + Info + Photos + History
- Confession time – San and I are living in an adorable little town called Rheda-Wiedenbrück but I never published even a single article about it. Why? My reasons are selfish.… Read more: My First German Christmas Market – Christkindlmarkt Wiedenbrück
- The best ways to travel within and around Germany is by road. Even though the public transport is excellent, it is super expensive when compared to a lot of countries.… Read more: 5 Short Road Trips in Germany [and Around]
- A few days back, San and I spent a few days in Hamburg to celebrate my birthday. It turned out to be one of the most interesting cities that we… Read more: Superbude – the best place to stay in Hamburg, Germany
- Have you ever made an “instant connection” with a place and left a piece of your heart there? We left ours back in Hamburg because it’s lovely. We spent a… Read more: 30 Things to Do in Hamburg, Germany in 2023 & 2024
- Hamburg was on my wish list for a long time, mainly because of the name. If you love Hamburgers (like I do), then I’m sure you’ll understand my sentiment here.… Read more: 11 Fun Facts & Interesting Things about Hamburg, Germany